Friday, April 26, 2013

Smart Reality TV

Smart reality TV. Say what?

No. It really is true.

Some of my favorite reality shows are the ones that make me learn things. I know you are probably thinking that there is no way it can be true but it can. Trust me!

I am just as big of a fan as you are of Bachelor but every time I hear Chris Harrison say "The final rose of the night," I want to throw something at my TV and say "No dip Sherlock. I wasn't born yesterday!" Like he gets paid how much money to point out the obvious. That's comforting. Way to go America!

We have teenagers getting pregnant and broadcasting it all over national television, Kartrashians making a fool of themselves and laughing all the way to the bank and (I hate to say...TEAR TEAR) my beloved housewives who are always looking out for a fight. Meanwhile we have shows that can actually expand your business knowledge in an hour, INSTANTLY!Take that Chris Harrison!

Shows like Shark Tank, Fashion Star, Tabatha Takes Over, and Celebrity Apprentice take reality television to a whole new level.

  • Shark Tank- Fridays 9pm on ABC- I have been watching this show before it became popular. Not only do you get to see fascinating new products that make you go "why didn't I think of that" but you get to see the "sharks" battle it out for glory recognition. Every time I watch I learn about business, equity, manufacturing, distribution, wholesale, and so much more. I have taken several business classes throughout college and I get to yell at my TV, telling them why they are making a horrible decision with their manufacturing or how in the world can you go on the show with no product sales?This show has exploded. ABC announced they have already renewed for the full season which is around 16 episodes for next year. New episodes are exploding with the ratings. Heck, even the reruns are off the charts. Mark Cuban makes sure all his twitter followers know that every week.
  • Fashion Star- Fridays 8pm on NBC- This show takes Project Runway to a whole new level. (A better level, if I might add). If you have ever wondered how a designer gets into a retail store this is the show you need to watch to see how. The designers make clothes that are supposed to appeal to the buyers of stores but also to store demographics while keeping their designer point of view. The stores are Express, Macy's, and Saks Fifth Ave. Then when you think it can't get better, you can actually purchase the clothes right after it's on TV  BRILLIANT! Brilliant concept and a danger to women's pocket books everywhere. 
  • Tabatha Takes Over- Thursdays 10pm on Bravo- Tabatha's show is one of my favorite shows on TV right now. I love it more than words can describe. Tabatha is a hair salon owner who has gotten recognized for her business and incredible common sense and is putting it to use helping struggling business owners turn their business around. The woman has no filter. She will tell you how it is no matter if you want to hear it and with an Australian accent. 
  • Celebrity Apprentice- Sundays 9pm on NBC- Celebrities competing for charity and doing business like challenges every week from advertising, marketing, fundraising, sales, and more all because of the man with the hair. Sign me up. Say what you want about Donald Trump and his hair but the man has money. He obviously did something right. The show is in it's 13th season and is still kicking it as far as I am concerned. 
See...You can still have your reality TV and not melt your brain!